Landon Brownell Memorial Scholarships
The Southern Arizona Chess Association is pleased to offer merit-based scholarships up to the amount of $300 to any eligible scholastic chess player from the Southern Arizona region. The scholarships will be awarded yearly, after the release of the April USCF Ratings Supplement.
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide support to Southern Arizona scholastic chess players who have demonstrated excellence in chess and a desire to further their chess development.
As of April 30 of the current year the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Live in Southern Arizona. Southern Arizona is defined as Pima, Pinal, and Santa Cruz Counties.
- Participated in at least 1 SACA sponsored chess tournament since April 1 of the previous year. (Including SACA Scholastic League tournaments and US Amateur West.)
- Be a current (or family) member of SACA.
- Be enrolled in 3rd – 12th grade in school or the home schooled equivalent.
- Obtained the minimum official established USCF rating based on current grade at least once since April 30 of the previous year.
- In order to be eligible for the current year, the applicant cannot have received a SACA Merit Scholarship the previous year.
|USCF Minimum Rating||1300||1400||1500||1600||1700||1800||1850||1900||1950||2000|
Method of Award
SACA will reimburse up to $300 in chess expenses of the scholarship award winner. The reimbursement will only be awarded once, but may be used for multiple expenses. A receipt of purchase will be required in order for SACA to reimburse the scholarship winner.
The following are eligible for SACA Scholarship reimbursement:
- Purchase of chess equipment, chess books, or chess software.
- Attendance (including travel expenses) to an out of region tournament.
- Attendance in a chess camp.
If there are any questions regarding permissible use of scholarship funds, please contact SACA prior to purchasing any good or services. Chess lessons are NOT permissible for scholarship funds. Scholarship funds are non-transferable.
Requests for reimbursement (including all receipts) are due December 31 of the following year in which the scholarship was awarded. All late requests will be denied.
SACA reserves the right to change or discontinue this Scholarship at any time, but will honor any scholarships that have already been awarded.